* If you click a link on this page and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Learn more.
A locked trunk can be quite the problem, especially if there is something inside it that you need. You might have lost your keys or misplaced them, and you must open your trunk. So how to open your trunk using a screwdriver?
Throughout this article, we will do our best to illustrate the best way of using your screwdriver to open your car’s trunk.
Inside or Outside
This is the first point that you need to determine is whether you need to open your trunk from your car’s outside or inside. The method differs greatly between the two situations. As if you want to open your trunk from the outside, you will have to wedge your way using your screwdriver until the trunk opens.
However, if you want to open your trunk from the inside, you will first need to open your car itself so you can get inside them open your trunk.
There is not a clear way in which you can open your car’s trunk from the outside using a screwdriver. All you can do is to use a flathead screwdriver to try and pry the trunk’s lock open by wedging your way left and right till it opens.
However, this is very dangerous to do as it can damage your trunk, break your screwdriver or even hurt you. So we recommend that you handle this with extreme caution and be very delicate when handling the screwdriver.
This is split into two different parts. The first one is to open the car itself and then open the trunk. If your car is locked, then your trunk will most certainly be locked as well. So to open the trunk, you will first have to open the car.
Opening the Car
We will be using the same screwdriver that we will use to open the trunk. So to open your car, you will have to:
- Locate your unlock key, and this is fairly easy to do is all of us memorize our cars’ inside out and know where every button is located.
- Use the screwdriver to wedge the door and frame apart; you will have to insert the screwdriver very carefully to prevent any damage from occurring either to the door or your locking mechanism. It would also be beneficial to stay away from the hinges as much as possible to avoid putting any pressure on the door.
- Insert a tool of any sort, the best would be a coat hanger as it is tall and strong and can also bend, you will have to insert it in the opening created by the screwdriver and try to pry your way inside until you reach the unlock key.
- Remove the screwdriver and coat hanger before opening the door; the importance of this step cannot be stressed enough as if you open the door before removing the screwdriver and the coat hanger. You will most definitely break your locking mechanism, which is very expensive to repair. So before you open your door, you must remove your coat hanger first, then the screwdriver and make sure that the door is back to its original positioning before opening your door.
Opening the Trunk
Now we have reached the part that we have all been waiting for. Getting to open your trunk from the inside. Now that you are inside your car, you will have to:
- Collapse the car’s front seats and push them forward as much as possible to create enough space for you.
- Lift the bottom of the back seats. This is done so you can search for and find a bolt that will be located on one of the two sides.
- Use a wrench to loosen and remove the bolt so you can thoroughly remove the seat’s bottom and back.
- Crawl inside the trunk after removing any insulation that may block your way.
- Now that you are in the trunk shed some light using your flashlight or your phone and find a horizontal metal bar that is usually located near the trunk’s lock.
- Use your flathead screwdriver to open and access the box that is on the bar. Turn it clockwise to open it, and the trunk will open.
- Return the insulation, the seats, and everything to their original placement, and everything will be perfect, and you will have opened your trunk using a screwdriver.
It is also notable that newer car models have an interior trunk release. This interior release is a latch that is very easily identified and can be pulled to open the trunk from the inside of your car.
Finally, it is safe to say that opening your car’s trunk using a screwdriver is easy to perform. However, you first need to open your locked car and proceed to open your trunk from the inside out.