Disclaimer: None of our reviews are sponsored. We earn a commission when you purchase items through our links.
A 60 gallon air compressor is one size available on the market, and these are still diverse in themselves.
Some of them are good for home DIY uses, while others are designed to be able to finish industrial jobs and run for extended periods of time. So what makes a good air compressor?
In this guide, I’ll tell you everything you need to know about these heavy-duty beasts as well as recommend the best 60 gallon air compressor you can find on the market.
|01.||DeWalt DXCMV5076055||8.8 Ibs||4.9||Check Current Price|
|02.||Industrial Air ILA3606056||9.6 Ibs||4.8||Check Current Price|
|03.||Quincy QT-54 2V41C60VC||0.32 Ibs||4.6||Check Current Price|
|04.||Ingersoll 2340L5-V||6.4 Ibs||4.6||Check Current Price|
|05.||Porter-Cable PXCMLC3706056||9.6 Ibs||4.5||Check Current Price|
|06.||Puma Industries PK-6060V||4.8 Ibs||4.3||Check Current Price|
|07.||Maxair C5160V1-MAP||11.2 Ibs||4.1||Check Current Price|
|08.||NorthStar||11.2 Ibs||4.1||Check Current Price|
|09.||PowerMate||11.2 Ibs||4.0||Check Current Price|
|10.||No products found.||No products found.||11.2 Ibs||3.9||No products found.|
Table of Contents
The 10 Best 60 Gallon Air Compressor
1. DeWalt DXCMV5076055
This two-stage is a great choice for anyone looking for extended run times.
It has a powerful 5 HP motor that enables it to reach a maximum of 175 PSI pressure.
Moreover, it runs at a lower RPM without compromising SCFM to minimize the wear on the motor and to run at cooler levels.
The warranty of the DeWalt DXCMV5076055 lasts two years for the pump and a year for everything else.
- Lower RPM for less wear and tear on the motor
- Powerful motor
- Patented piston and pump to run cooler
- High 175 maximum pressure
- Protection against overheating
- Easy maintenance
- A little pricey
Although it’s a bit pricey, the DeWalt DXCMV5076055’s performance is fantastic, and it’s a quite durable model.
- Industrial performance delivers maximum CFM @ 175 PSI; provides enough power to operate more than one air tool or Device at...
- Patented Pump design provides for a cooler Running Pump: industrial style air intake filter; easily Accessible Oil level...
- Electric motor with Thermal Overload protection: protects the motor from voltage fluctuations and magnetic starter not...
- Large capacity, 60 gallon ASME* air receiver with large ¾” air outlet port.Amperage:22 amps
2. Industrial Air ILA3606056
If you’re looking for a strong home air compressor, the Industrial Air ILA3606056 is a good pick.
Its 3.7 HP motor enables it to reach a maximum pressure of 155 PSI. So it can deliver 11.5 CFM at 90 PSI –which is good enough but may not suit some industrial-grade tasks.
Moreover, the Industrial Air ILA3606056 is equipped with a cast-iron ASME tank and oil-lubricated twin-cylinder that make it very robust and durable.
For a 60 gallon tank, the Industrial Air ILA3606056 is pretty compact and lightweight at only 247 pounds.
- Lightweight design
- Affordable price
- Twin-cylinder motor
- Easy oil refill
- Subpar CFM
- Pretty loud
- Doesn’t have proper cooling mechanisms
The Industrial Air ILA3606056 is a great 60 gallon single-stage air compressor that comes with a sleek design and solid construction.
However, it’s a little loud and may not reach the level of CFM that industrial jobs require.
- cast iron, twin cyclinder, oil lubricated pump
- one-piece cast iron crankcase and 12 inch caast iron crankcase
- 240 volt heavy duty induction motor
- splash type lubrication
3. Quincy QT-54 2V41C60VC
The Quincy QT-54 2V41C60VC’s motor is the building unit of the compressor and is the reason why it’s such a great choice.
The capacitor-start motor spares you the need for any special wiring when you’re installing it, consequently saving time and money.
However, the initial price of the Quincy QT-54 2V41C60VC is a little higher than the average air compressor.
But then again, it gives you a 5 HP motor and 175 PSI maximum pressure in such a compact package.
It’s not the quietest unit, but for its capacity, it’s not that noisy.
- Efficient operation
- Quiet performance
- Very compact
- Powerful motor with high pressure levels
- Helpful customer service
- Some issues may arise with the pump
If you’re looking for a powerful 5 HP air compressor, you should opt for the Quincy QT-54 2V41C60VC. Although it’s a little expensive, it provides you with an amazing operation that proves it’s a smart investment.
4. Ingersoll 2340L5-V
The Ingersoll 2340L5-V provides you with quality performance and durability. It runs on electricity rather than gas, so it doesn’t require little to no maintenance.
The 175 PSI maximum pressure and powerful 5 HP qualify it to be an industrial-grade compressor and make it fit for demanding use. This includes fleet maintenance, manufacturing lines, dry cleaners, car washes, woodworking shops, repair shops, or farms.
Moreover, to keep the motor and cylinders cool, the 2340L5-V comes with radical fins, an integral flywheel, and a high-energy copper cooler.
- 5 HP motor
- High CFM with 175 PSI maximum pressure
- Easy maintenance
- 100% continuous duty
- Integrated cooling
- Allows you to see the level of oil you add
- Doesn’t have vibration pads
The Ingersoll 2340L5-V is a reliable air compressor for the money. It provides you with high pressure levels thanks to its powerful 5 HP motor. However, it may be a little noisy, especially as it lacks anti-vibration pads.
- Long-Life: Durable cast iron construction, long-lasting extended pump life designed for over 15,000 hours of trouble-free use
- Maximum Power and Flexibilty: 100% continuous duty, 5 hp 2-stage air compressor, 175 psig maximum operating pressure and a 60...
- Easy to Service: Individually cast cylinders, overhung crankshaft and one piece connecting rod simplifies maintenance and...
- Reliable Operation: All Season Select synthetic lubricant increases efficiency; with 2,000 hours of service between...
5. Porter-Cable PXCMLC3706056
The twin-cylinder motor on the Porter-Cable PXCMLC3706056 allows it to run smoothly with reduced vibrations and heat.
Moreover, the unit has a high-quality cast-iron flywheel that is quite durable and has a long lifespan.
However, it doesn’t produce that high pressure, and it takes relatively longer to refill than other models.
So if you’re looking for a continuous-duty compressor, skip on this one.
Furthermore, you might face some quality control issues. It’s not the most value you can get for the price, but it’s a pretty budget-friendly choice.
- Twin-cylinder motor with adequate 3.7 HP performance
- Relatively quiet operation
- Amazing flywheel
- Low CFM
- Some issues with the quality control
If you’re looking for a suitable 60 gallon air compressor for a home garage, the Porter-Cable PXCMLC3706056 is a good candidate for its compact dimensions and light weight. However, you shouldn’t be expecting industrial-grade pressure levels.
- 13.4 CFM at 40 psi and 11.5 CFM at 90 psi
- 3.7 running horsepower
- Shipped with synthetic oil for optimum performance and long life
- Equipped with pressure gauge and on/off switch
6. Puma Industries PK-6060V
As portable as air compressors get, this model can be moved around thanks to its light 305-pound weight and the wheels it comes with.
The oil-lubricated cast-iron is durable and resists corrosion effectively.
Moreover, for a unit of its size, you’d expect that it runs noisily. However, that’s not the case as the Puma Industries PK-6060V is a quiet air compressor.
The 135 maximum pressure it can reach is generated in minutes thanks to the quick performance of the unit.
- High capacity
- Equipped with wheels for portability
- Has overload protection
- Prone to overheat
- Airflow is not suitable for the size
The 3 HP motor on the Puma Industries PK-6060V doesn’t make it the strongest model you can get. However, it’s still a budget-friendly choice that provides you with reliable performance for demanding medium-duty tasks.
- Oil lubricated, single stage cast iron pump
- Portable units feature built-in pressure regulator and quick coupler for pressure control of outlet air
- 1/2" outlet ball valve and 1/4" drain ball valve on 60 gallon vertical tank
- Single Phase induction motors with overload protection
7. Maxair C5160V1-MAP
The Maxair C5160V1-MAP is a heavy-duty air compressor that you can use to tackle any job. It’s both durable and functional.
The single-stage, high performing compressor runs on a powerful 5 HP motor that produces pressures as high as 170 PSI.
This enables you to use it for inflating tires, high-pressure cleaning, and much more.
With a 60 gallon tank, it weighs a little over 300 pounds, so it’s quite portable when compared to other options of this tank size.
Moreover, the Maxair C5160V1-MAP comes with an extended rain valve that makes maintenance a straightforward task.
However, this compressor is a bit of an expensive pick. Some parts didn’t seem to fit the premium-quality description, but the Maxair C5160V1-MAP is still strong and durable.
It’s also a bit loud in its operation, but then again, it does produce high levels of pressure.
- High-capacity tank
- Powerful motor
- High maximum pressure
- Perfect for heavy-duty work
- Some components aren’t very sturdy
The Maxair C5160V1-MAP is one of the excellent 60 gallon air compressors you can get. Although it’s a little expensive, it’s of very high value as it combines capacity, power, pressure, and portability.
- The DEWALT 2 stage air compressor is built with a 5-HP TOPS motor to provide long life and quiet operation, Air Compressor...
- The integrated control panel has a tank and pressure gauge and 2 quick-connects for convenient control, Air Delivery SCFM @...
- This compressor delivers plenty of air to run multiple tools at the same time to get the job done faster, Air Delivery SCFM @...
- The thermal overload protection system motor protects the motor from voltage fluctuations, Nozzle Fitting Size: 3/4-in,...
Luxurious and resilient, the NorthStar is a pump of distinction. Its cast-iron construction keeps it long-lasting well into virtually any environment with total precision, as well as incredibly low heat transfer between cylinders.
The copper finned inter-and after-coolers provide an excellent extension to its life expectancy while the triple-ringed piston means less oil consumption and greater head life for you in addition to being able to handle any thrust levels your engine desires for maximum efficiency and performance.
Equipped with bearings on each side of its spheroidal graphite crankshaft in addition to heavy-duty paper element filters that are easily replaced when needed without ever compromising quality or functionality, this product will work wonders for anyone who wants something strong that can last.
- Long-lasting pump
- Less oil consumption
- Feel confident knowing your engine will be running smoothly.
- Durable cast iron oil-lubricated pump for long life and no heat transfer between cylinders
- Copper finned inter-and after-coolers provide good heat dissipation and less moisture
- Reed valves are made of heat-resistant alloy steel supplied from Sweden ASSAB
- Valves are specifically designed for maximum efficiency
The PowerMate is the most powerful and functional air tool in town. With a power-to-size ratio incomparable to any other, this heavy-duty industrial compressor will be your new go-to in seconds.
Made from only the highest quality materials and built with unparalleled engineering, you’ll feel immediately confident that this is worth every penny saved. From a 60 gallon capacity for long-running times to 155P max pressure perfect for all your tools, you can do it all on one PowerMate.
- Powerful, heavy-duty industrial compressor.
- Made from only the highest quality materials.
- You’ll be able to do it all on one tool.
- cast iron twin cylinder pump
- 240 volt heavy duty induction motor
- 12 inch cast iron balanced flywheel
- 155 PSI maximum working pressure
10. SS5 5HP 230V
No products found.
No products found.
The SS5 is an industry-leading pump for demanding applications. If you’re looking to produce even the most demanding amounts of viscous liquids, look no further! Built with a cast iron construction and long-lasting pump life designed for over 5,000 hours of trouble-free use The SS5 can take on any viscosity level from lightweight fluids up to 20 CST.
With more power and flexibility than any other pump in this class, the SS5 has 100% continuous duty capability that allows it to run at high-pressure levels up to 135 PSIG without any risk of running dry for superior performance.
- The SS5 is a pump that can take on any viscosity level.
- It has 100% continuous duty capability and high-pressure levels.
- You’ll have the best equipment for your application.
- You’ll be able to produce more viscous liquids than ever before.
No products found.
Is a 60 Gallon Air Compressor Big Enough?
The air compressor size you need depends on your application. A 60 gallon capacity is a good starting point for most applications, but there are other factors to take into account as well: the type of work that needs to be done and the frequency with which it will come up.
The last thing an equipment buyer wants is to buy more than they needed because they weren’t sure what their requirements would be down the road.
How long should it take for a 60 gallon air compressor to fill up?
It will take approximately two hours to fully fill up.
How Can I Make My Compressor Quieter?
One way to stop the noise is by periodically lubricating your air compressor. The best time to do this is when you first turn on the machine and are letting it run for a little bit before turning off or switching applications.
If there’s already a buildup of dirt in the unit, try using water as an alternative to oil-based fluids that can build up and cause problems with some types of metal compressors.
Ultimately, adding insulation will also help reduce some of the sound coming from an air compressor if it has been identified as being too noisy.
How to Pick a Good 60 Gallon Air Compressor?
The amount of power you can get from your compressor depends on the horsepower.
Some of the advertised numbers can be misleading, however. That’s why you should check the electrical power use during operation.
For example, a 5 HP motor should run on 24 amps on a single-phase power (220 volts).
The pressure of an air compressor is measured in PSI (Pressure per Square Inch) and indicates the raw power of the unit.
Since you’re getting a 60 gallon compressor, you’re most probably going to be doing heavy-duty jobs.
So you should get a compressor with high PSI that matches the kind of tools you’re going to run and the difficulty of tasks you’re going to finish.
Just because you’re getting a large-size unit with strong pressure levels doesn’t mean you have to suffer from noise. Try getting a unit with less than 80 dB noise levels to get reliable performance without a headache at the end of every use.
Easy Tank Drain
To keep your compressor running as new, you’ll have to drain it frequently. That’s why you should get a model with an easy tank drain process as you don’t want to make this essential task a tedious one.
How to Install a 60 Gallon Air Compressor?
Keep your unit at least 18 inches away from the wall or any other surface.
Place vibration pads beneath the feet of the compressor to prevent any movement that may damage the unit.
Using these pads as guides, drill holes into the ground to fix your compressor. These holes should be at least 5 inches deep in the concrete.
Fix your compressor to the ground using mounting bolts. Make sure not to tighten the nut fully so that there’s some room for stress relief during operation.
If they’re not already, install the breather and filter after you’ve checked your pump for oil.
Attach the hose to the regulator valve.
Set the proper pressure level, wear your safety gear, turn your compressor on, and you’re ready to go.
How Much Oil Does a 60 Gallon Air Compressor Need?
How to Maintain a 60 Gallon Air Compressor?
The most important thing to do when it comes to air compressor maintenance is draining the moisture. It’s as simple as opening the drain valve, letting the water out, and closing it again.
You should do this after every use to extend the lifespan of your compressor as long as possible.
|Air Compressor||Pressure (PSI)||Weight (lbs)|
|Industrial Air ILA3606056||155||247|
|Quincy QT-54 2V41C60VC||175||475|
|Puma Industries PK-6060V||135||305|
Each of these good 60 gallon air compressors shines in a particular aspect, and some even combine several beneficial features.
For starters, the DeWalt DXCMV5076055 combines affordability with robust performance in terms of pressure levels and motor.
However, it’s not very compact and operates a little noisily.
If you’re looking for something more compact yet still very powerful, opt for the Quincy QT-54 2V41C60VC. But this one is one of the more expensive choices.
The Industrial Air ILA3606056 is an excellent choice for someone who’s looking for a compact, light, and affordable unit as long as they’re okay with not getting the highest pressure levels or motor power.
- Best Air Compressor For Painting
- Best Portable Air Compressor
- Airhawk Air compressor Reviews
- Best 12v Air Compressor
- Best 20 Gallon Air Compressor
- Best 30 Gallon Air Compressor
- Best Air Compressor For Home Garage
- Best Airbrush Compressor
- Best Jump Starter With Air Compressor
- Best Pancake Air Compressor
- Best Portable Air Compressor For Car
- Campbell Hausfeld 60 Gallon Air Compressor Review