Disclaimer: None of our reviews are sponsored. We earn a commission when you purchase items through our links.
Are you in need of the best 30 gallon air compressor? If so, this is the post for you! We will be discussing some of the most popular brands and models that are available on the market.
Not only do we break down what to look for when purchasing your new air compressor, but also how much different ones cost as well.
This way you can make an informed decision about which one is best suited for your needs.
|Air compressor||Price||Pressure ( CFM)||Weight ( Lbs)|
|Ingersoll-Rand SS3F2-GM||Check Current Price||5.7||185|
|DeWalt DXCMLA1983054||Check Current Price||5.7||190|
|Industrial Air ILA188354||Check Current Price||5.7||185|
|Campbell Hausfeld VT6358||Check Current Price||5.5||178|
|DeWalt DXCM271.COM||Check Current Price||5.1||136|
|Husky C301H Electric||Check Current Price||5.1||150|
|NorthStar 459382||Check Current Price||24.5||492|
The 10 Best 30 Gallon Air Compressor
1. Ingersoll-Rand SS3F2-GM
This high-capacity vertical 30-gallon air compressor is one of the best choices.
The powerful 2 HP motor produces 5.7 CFM of pressure, which makes its functionality excellent while the oil-free operation makes it easy to use and maintain.
You can use it to run anything from tools impact wrenches, nail guns, and air staplers to caulking guns and air drills.
But this means it’s powered by electricity and you’ll have to stay close to a power outlet as long as you work.
The Ingersoll-Rand SS3F2-GM is not the most portable, but it has a compact design that doesn’t take up much space in your garage or workshop.
- Electric design enables you to use it anywhere
- Made from cast-iron for durability
- Relatively quiet operation
- Compact design doesn’t take much space
- A little too heavy to lift off from the ground
If you’re looking for very reliable and robust performance, I highly recommend the Ingersoll-Rand SS3F2-GM. Although it’s pricey and not that portable, it provides strong and consistent pressure.
- Portable Design: Heavy-duty ergonomic handle and semi-pneumatic tires for easy handling, ideal for DIYers or professionals
- User Friendly: A low 80 dBA noise level, an easily accessible side drain valve and an automatic start/stop pressure switch control provides a superior user experience
- Maximum Power: 100% continuous duty, along with 30-gallon receiver tank for tough applications
- Reliable Operation: All Season Select synthetic lubricant increases efficiency; with 2,000 hours of service between changeouts, it performs four times longer than petroleum-based lubricants
2. DeWalt DXCMLA1983054
DeWalt is quite popular when it comes to the power tools area and for a good reason. They make high-quality, efficient, and durable products, and the DeWalt DXCMLA1983054 is no exception.
This unit can deliver 5.7 CFM at 90 PSI and runs on a robust 1.9 HP motor. It’s suitable for both DIY jobs and commercial use alike.
I think the vertical design adds to the compactness of the unit, and its dimensions are already quite space-conscious.
And while it’s a pretty hefty unit, it comes with pneumatic tires that help you move it around from one place to another.
Moreover, the DeWalt DXCMLA1983054 has cast-iron construction and a twin-cylinder oil-lubricated pump, which makes it very strong and durable to be able to handle any work environment.
Also, while it’s wired for the standard 120V outlet, it can be used with a 240V one with no trouble.
- Durable cast-iron construction
- Quiet operation
- Effective maximum pressure
- Good value for the money
- Very compact design
- Oil-drain is inconveniently positioned
- Needs careful handling during installation
The DeWalt DXCMLA1983054 provides you with top-notch performance thanks to its robust motor. And while it’s a little too heavy to move around easily from one place to another, it has a very compact, vertical design that makes it space-efficient.
- 7.0 CFM at 40 psi and 5.7 CFM at 90 psi with 1.9 RHP
- 155 PSI max pressure for optimum tool performance
- 30 gallon ASME vertical portable tank with pre-attached pneumatic tires for maximum portability
- Dual voltage motor is wired for standard 120 volt outlet and may also be converted for 240 volt application
3. Industrial Air ILA188354
The high-performance 1.9 HP motor of the Industrial Air ILA188354 can deliver up to 5.7 CFM pressure at 90 PSI.
To be as efficient as possible, it’s equipped with a twin-cylinder oil-free system. This kind of system requires little to no maintenance and allows you to work on tasks that need clean air, such as painting.
Moreover, the cast-iron construction makes it very durable and long-lasting.
The unit comes with a 17-accessory kit that has all the necessary supplies you may need to start working. However, it does lack an essential electrical cord.
And while the Industrial Air ILA188354 is wired for 120V current, the dual voltage feature allows you to run it at 240V.
- Comes with a 2-year warranty
- UL and CSA-Certified
- Equipped with a dual voltage feature
- Motor is powerful and efficient
- Quiet operation
- Oil-free, maintenance-free twin-cylinder pump system
- Doesn’t come with an electrical cord
- Sometimes the auto shut-off can be buggy
This hefty unit stands very sturdily but doesn’t take much space thanks to the vertical design. The Industrial Air ILA188354 is also pretty affordable and makes a great 30-gallon air compressor for home use.
- Cast iron, twin cylinder, oil lubricated pump
- Heavy duty induction motor for maximum performance and efficiency
- 155 PSI max pressure for optimum tool performance
- 30 gallon vertical portable tank with pre-attached pneumatic tires for maximum portability
4. Campbell Hausfeld VT6358
If you’re looking for a horizontal air compressor, you can’t go wrong with the Campbell Hausfeld VT6358. Once you install it, it runs very smoothly and stands sturdily on the ground.
This is part of why this unit operates with little noise.
It delivers 5.5 CFM pressure at 90 PSI and runs on a powerful 2 HP motor, which allows you to power most pneumatic tools with no issue.
Although it’s not the lightest, the Campbell Hausfeld VT6358 is pretty portable thanks to the large, air-powered wheels it comes with.
The Campbell Hausfeld VT6358’s pump crankshaft and V-belt drive enable it to perform seamlessly and efficiently.
- Strong motor and powerful output
- Quiet operation
- Long lifespan and durability
- Not very compact
- Plastic casing doesn’t suit the tough operation of an air compressor
The Campbell Hausfeld VT6358 is a powerful and durable oil-lubricated 30-gallon air compressor that has a lot to offer. Its motor helps you finish heavier-duty tasks as well as run most high-rated pneumatic tools.
- Heavy Duty Cast Iron, Oil-Lubricated, Two Cylinder Single Stage Pump
- Handle and semi-pneumatic wheels for portability of 30 gallon tank, plus a fully enclosed metal belt guard for safe operation
- Dual Voltage Motor Allows unit to be run at the normal household 120V for the everyday DIY customer or 240V for the business, contractor or serious DIY customer
- 5.5 CFM @ 90 PSI
5. Dewalt Dxcm271
The most notable thing about the DeWalt DXCM271.COM is that it delivers 80% more air tool run time compared to other 200-PSI units.
At 90 PSI, it can deliver 5.1 CFM to power various air tools smoothly and efficiently.
With the DeWalt DXCM271.COM, you shouldn’t worry about either noise or maintenance. The 78 dB level makes its operation very quiet while the oil-free pump spares you the need for maintenance.
Moreover, the DeWalt DXCM271.COM is very lightweight compared to other options on the list, so you can easily move it around if you need to change your workplace.
- Super quiet performance
- Fast-start motor boasts low voltage start
- Delivers high pressure
- Equipped with couplers and high flow regulators
- Oil-free, maintenance-free system
- Super affordable price
- Bang for the buck
- Can’t be wired up to run on a 240V circuit
- Motor isn’t as powerful as other options
- Actually a 27-gallon compressor
The DeWalt DXCM271.COM is a great upright 30 gallon compressor. While it doesn’t hit the 30-gallon mark, it still deserves to be on the list of the best of them as it delivers reliable performance at a highly affordable price.
- 5.1 SCFM at 90 PSI provides faster recovery times resulting in increased project efficiency
- 6.8 SCFM at 40 PSI provides the ability to operate a HVLP spray gun
- 78 dBA brings less noise to your work environment and is 30% more quiet than similar oil free induction products
- Low volt easy start motor will operate with extension cords of at least 12 gal. and 50 ft. or less
6. Husky C301H Electric Air Compressor
The Husky C301H is a reliable, single-stage 30-gallon air compressor.
It has a 1.6 HP motor that produces ample power for reaching 5.1 CFM pressures and a 135 maximum PSI. This makes it an excellent choice for medium-duty jobs.
And while it’s not the most durable, its aluminum pump with a cast-iron sleeve is bound to last long without any wear or tear.
Being oil-lubricated means that you’re going to have to provide the unit with maintenance, but it also means that its performance is robust and reliable.
Generally, it’s quite lightweight and portable. It also has a moderately-sized footprint, yet it needs wide space for operation as it requires extra ventilation.
Finally, the Husky C301H comes with 2 years of warranty to guarantee its efficiency.
- Very affordable price
- 2-year warranty
- Lightweight and portable
- Quiet and efficient performance
- Local stores aren’t as available
- Not the most durable
- Need a wide area for ventilation
If you’re looking for a portable, light, and affordable 30 gallon air compressor, then the Husky C301H is the one for you. It’s not the most durable or powerful, but it’ll definitely help you tackle all your medium-duty projects.
- This refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new. The refurbishing process includes functionality testing, basic cleaning, inspection, and repackaging. The product ships with...
7. NorthStar 459382
This 30-gallon air compressor is one of the best powerful choices.
It has an impressive 12 HP motor that enables it to produce 24.4 CFM at 90 PSI and a maximum pressure of 175 PSI. This makes it well-suited for heavy-duty jobs and professional use.
For the efficiency and what it has to offer, it’s reasonably-prices. However, it is a lot more expensive than the average 30-gallon compressors on the market.
But the durable cast-iron construction and premium-quality components make it worth the money.
Moreover, NorthStar 459382 is definitely not the most portable unit, but it’s versatile. But it does come with a V-style cylinder that provides it with cooling, an electric start, and a 4-year warranty.
It also has multiple outputs that make it both functional and practical.
- Super high output pressure
- Very powerful motor
- Long warranty
- Durable construction
- Quite hefty
- Very expensive
- Honda GX390 OHV engine with electric start/recoil backup and low oil shutdown
- 3 Amp battery charging circuit (battery not included)
- Full cast iron pump for long service life
- V-style cylinder design for superior cooling
The DEWALT DXCMLA1683066 is an upright air compressor. This machine operates with a V-twin cylinder and overhead valves that deliver power to the tool giving high-performance torque adjustment, which makes it perfect for removing old rusted bolts.
The max pressure on this compressor is 155 psi enabling optimum tool performance. This fully-assembled unit comes equipped with gauges for tank relief, working pressure, and quick-connect outlets and switch to operate easily with one hand operation from the top handlebar as well as a two-meter hose seen in its accompanying images providing flexibility while maintaining control of your tools during use.
- A powerful machine that can handle any job.
- Uses less energy than comparable models.
- Be the hero of your workshop.
- Make every project a success with our compressor.
- Cast iron, V-twin cylinder, oil lubricated pump
- Built with a High Flow Regulator-which supplies more torque for the projects like removing old rusted bolts-get more air to the tool
- Dual voltage motor is wired for standard 120 volt outlet, and may also be converted for 240 volt applications
- 155 PSI max pressure for optimum tool performance
9.Porter Cable Pxcmlc1683066
If you’re looking for a reliable, heavy-duty air compressor that will get the job done at a fraction of the cost, consider this strong and versatile Porter Cable oil-free Single Stage Twin V Cast Iron pump (PXCMLC1683066).
The tank size is 30 gallons and it produces 6.2 CFM with 40 psi pressure or 5.3 CFM at 90 psi maximum pressure – perfect if you need larger quantities of compressed air to use with larger tools that need more power or require less than 2 cfm per hour.
This rugged machine can handle everything from sandblasters to framing nailers without ever failing because of its powerful 1.6 HP induction motor, durable cast iron construction, and dual-stage pumps mounted on an ace frame.
- You’ll never have to worry about your air compressor breaking down again.
- Have peace of mind knowing you invested in a quality product that will last for years.
- Single stage, oil lubricated, Twin-V cast iron pump
- Heavy duty 1.6 HP, 120-240 volt induction motor
- Tank Size: 30 Gallon
- SCFM at 40 PSI: 6.2 & SCFM at 90 PSI: 5.3
10.Eastwood 30 Gallon Air Compressors
The Eastwood 29 Gallon Single Stage Air Compressor allows people to do home projects without the need for a costly day at the shop.
We all know that when it comes to something like an air compressor there is a lot more to consider than just does it work? You need to ask questions about the environment you’re using this product in, for instance. An oil-lubricated cast iron pump design augments the 29 Gallon Single stage Air Compressor with longevity and function without compromising ease of use you’ll wonder how we ever built anything as beautifully simple as this machine.
the motor comes equipped with sleek twin capacitor motors allowing easy start-up no matter what atmosphere or climate conditions may exist, and even has a built-in thermal overload protection feature!
- You’ll save time and money.
- It’s durable.
- It looks great in your garage.
- You can use it for all sorts of things like inflating tires, filling up inflatable pools, etc.
The NorthStar 459382 is a durable and powerful 30-gallon air compressor with multiple output options, which makes it a great addition to your workshop arsenal. It’s a suitable choice for professionals that want to tackle heavy-duty work.
- The Eastwood 29 Gallon Single Stage Air Compressor Is Specifically Designed With The Home Garage User In Mind
- Twin Capacitor Motor For Easy Start Up
- Motor Comes With Built In Thermal Overload Protection
- Comes With Dual Pressure Gauges And Built-In Quick Coupler
How to Pick a 30-Gallon Air Compressor?
Single Stage vs Dual Stage
If you’re looking for more efficient operation in terms of higher PSI, go for a dual-stage compressor. These have more storage for air, don’t generate as much heat, and have a longer lifespan.
However, if you don’t need that much pressure anyway, go for a single-stage one as it’s more affordable.
The horsepower on your 30-gallon air compressor will control how long it takes for the tank to be filled. It’s not a detrimental factor, but it can make a difference.
CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute) is an indicator of how fast your compressor can supply air. You should get a unit with enough CFM to run the tool you intend to use. Otherwise, you’ll have to take breaks to let the compressor catch up.
Oil-lubricated vs. Oil-free
Oil-lubricated air compressors are usually stronger in terms of performance and a lot more durable.
However, they’re not the best if you’re looking to minimize running costs or maintenance efforts.
Noise levels are important because you don’t want to get a headache every time you operate your tool.
A tool with 80 dB or less would be good enough to provide you with solid performance without causing too much commotion.
Easy Tank Drain
A big part of keeping your air compressor healthy and good as new is to drain the tank frequently.
The easier it is to do that, the more often you’ll do it, and the longer your unit will last.
How to Drain a 30 Gallon Air Compressor?
- Begin by switching off the compressor and unplugging it from its power source.
- Release all the pressurized air inside by pulling the tank’s safety valve.
- Find the drain valve on the bottom of the tank.
- Open the drain valve and double-check that you’ve let all the moisture out before you close it.
How Much Horsepower Does a 30 Gallon Air Compressor Need?
The horsepower required to operate an air compressor depends on the model you choose. Generally, a 30-gallon pump would need around 2 HP to function efficiently.
What Is The Best 30 Gallon Air Compressor?
The Campbell Hausfeld. The 30-gallon tank and modest horsepower are just what you need to get plenty of work done without draining your wallet or emptying your fuel supply too quickly.
It’s a great starter unit for every home garage, and its dependable performance will offer you years of use with minimal maintenance downtime.
And because it has an oil seal pump design, it’ll never seize up in cold climates like some other brands might after prolonged exposure to frigid temperatures!
Will A 30-Gallon Air Compressor Paint A Car?
Paint a car? Sure! And it’s not just for cars. If you’re looking to paint your living room, or maybe even make some art in the garage, this little compressor is up for anything that requires an airbrush (or paint can!) and a steady supply of compressed air.
As long as you have adequate ventilation, there are few tasks too big or small for one of these machines and they’ll get them done faster than our old friend gravity could alone ever hope to manage.
What Are The Typical Uses For 30-gallon Air Compressors?
The most popular uses for an air compressor are painting and auto repair. The bigger, paint-friendly compressors can be used to blow off the garage floor or inflate a raft with just as much ease.
And if you’re into car racing? You’ll need one of these babies in your pit crew at all times! For those looking to get creative, there are many other options including making art sculptures with compressed air, blowing up balloons, filling tires that have gone flat on bicycles (or motorcycles), inflating pool toys, etcetera. The list is nearly endless!
With so many tasks under its belt, it’s no wonder why the 30-gallon Air Compressor has been around since 1929 and counting!
How Much Horsepower Does A 30-Gallon Air Compressor Need?
The horsepower requirement for a 30-gallon air compressor depends on the task it is undertaking. For those who will be using it to paint, you should look for a unit that has at least one HP of power output per gallon of tank size.
So if your compressor is rated at 15 gallons and needs an extra pump in order to perform efficiently, opt instead for one with 18 or more horsepowers (HP).
The same rule applies when filling tires; purchase one with over three HPs per 20-inch tire. If you’re connecting two tanks together though, make sure they have the same CFM ratings so as not to slow down performance.
What Do You Want A 30 Gallon Air Compressor To Do?
A 30-gallon air compressor is a great option if you’re looking for something that will power heavy-duty tools or inflate multiple tires in one sitting.
It’s also the size of unit preferred by those who need to paint because it can pump enough at high pressure so as not to require an extra booster pump (although these are often included with your purchase).
And while this type of tank won’t be able to fill any vehicle tire on its own, it may work out well for people who want to have their hands free and only need some minor inflation here and there.
Oil Vs. Oil-Free Tanks
Oil-free units are a good choice if you don’t want to be bothered with the hassle of changing oil.
These tanks typically have higher CFM ratings than their oil counterparts, making them ideal for jobs that require more airflow and power (such as inflating truck tires).
How Can I Maintain A 30-Gallon Air Compressor?
change the oil every six months to a year or as needed; use air compressor lubricant for this task (this will help avoid creating too much friction that can cause unnecessary wear and tear on your equipment).
Be sure not to overfill it, which could lead to more rapid deterioration. And if you notice any water in the tank when you try opening it, stop using it immediately and contact the supplier about repair or replacement.
What Do You Need To Consider Before Buying?
First, decide what you’ll be using the compressor for. If it’s just to power a nail gun or blows up car tires then something with lower CFM will probably work well enough and save you some money.
But if your needs are more intensive – such as running an air-driven impact wrench or a grinder, get one that can handle the higher demands of those workloads (you should also think about how much noise is tolerable).
And make sure to consider where in your home you plan on putting this piece of equipment: if space is limited then choose one that comes with wheels so it’ll be easier moving it around, alternatively look for models designed specifically for smaller spaces like garages, basements, and workshops.
While the five options I’ve listed above can easily pass as the best 30-gallon air compressor for different reasons, I think some of them do a better job of combining a set of features together.
Take, for example, the Ingersoll-Rand SS3F2-GM. Despite being a little pricey and heavy, it is super sturdy and delivers enough pressure to power most tools. You can use it to take on almost any DIY job and some heavy-duty ones.
If you’re looking for something more affordable, however, you should go for the DeWalt DXCMLA1983054. While it’s not the most affordable, it’s very reasonably priced. It’s a great bang for the buck when you consider its powerful motor and high pressure levels as well as the compact design.
Finally, if you’re looking for the most portable option and also the most budget-friendly, opt for the DEWALT DXCM271.
- Air Compressor For Painting
- Portable Air Compressor
- Airhawk Air compressor
- 12v Air Compressor
- 20 Gallon Air Compressor
- Air Compressor For Home Garage
- Airbrush Compressor
- Jump Starter With Air Compressor
- Pancake Air Compressor
- Portable Air Compressor For Car
- 60 Gallon Air Compressor
- Campbell Hausfeld