Disclaimer: None of our reviews are sponsored. We earn a commission when you purchase items through our links.
A good worm drive saw is a perfect tool to execute heavy-duty woodworking projects. When comparing it to other saws, you can easily note that it’s more effective, versatile, robust, and costly.
Irrespective of what you want to use this saw for, either you want to use it to complete a house project or use it in the factories for industrial use. You would be able to tackle all cutting tasks easily.
Finding the right saw requires some research as the purchasing of the saw is an investment that should pay off over the years.
This is why we write this guide to select the best worm drive saw, analyze their features, pros, and cons with our expert opinion on each saw.
Our Favorite Picks
Table of Contents
The 7 Best Worm Drive Saw
1. Dewalt Flexvolt 60V Max- Best Worm Drive Saws
Powerful cuts and efficiency are two important aspects of any good worm drive saw. Although, only a few among the power tool of these types offer these features. But all the best worm drive saw has these and other features.
About this Dewalt Flevolt 60V Max, it comes with some features that make it very easy to use. For instance, it has a large handle with an ergonomic rubber holder for greater comfort during use. It also possesses easily and quickly blades changes features.
You’ll be astonished this tool works and its durability. It is made of materials and chemicals which make it rust-resistant. Carbide tips are designed to withstand even the most difficult of conditions.
With the installation of valves and other primary place mechanisms to dissolve heat and improve the saw performance.
With Dewalt Flevolt 60V Max, there is a lot of versatility to benefit when it comes to productivity. Its equipped with a 15 amp motor and gears with a large touch screen area providing more stable power.
This low maintenance tool also features hypoid gears of high quality for long lasting performance. It also provides inserts so deep and superior you won’t be disappointed with even thick materials.
- Ergonomic handle
- Maximized for runtime and durability
- Powerful with up to 2400 max watts out
- 15 amp that delivers 5,800 RPMs for fast cutting
- 0-530 bevel capacity
- Bulky and heavy
- No safety switch.
Dewalt Flevolt 60V Max is perfect for error-free operation, because if you want to make precise and accurate cuts. This saw possesses all the basic features you want.
- High-grade magnesium shoe and an efficient Brushless motor for smooth, accurate cuts and long runtime
- Electronic brake which helps stop the blade after the trigger is released
- Bevel capacity of 53° with stops at 45° and 22.5°
- Integrated dust blower allows the user to clear its line of sight while cutting
2. Dewalt 7-1/4-Inch Best Worm Drive Saws
This is another best worm drive tool by DEWALT. DEWALT DCS577B is one of the great circular tools with impressive and exclusive features. This tool has a left-hand blade configuration, which provides an optimal viewing path. It comes with a quick, precise cut and prolonged usage with a powerful brushless motor. This tool’s engine produces up to 4,800 RPMs for faster and cleaner cutting, which is efficient enough to cut various materials.
This great circular tool comes with a high-quality magnesium footplate for longevity and high performance. It also has an electronic brake, which stops the blade from rotating immediately after the trigger was released. This is a very critical safety feature that will also enhance time saving during operation as well. This worm saw’s beveling potential is 53 degrees, and it has positive stops at 22.5 degrees and 45 degrees.
This 7.25-inch machine provides a cutting depth of 2.44 inches at an angle of 90 degrees. With its capture hook, the saw easy to use. With the integrated key panel, you can quickly and easily adjust the blade. This worm saw is suitable for different materials cutting tasks such as; wood, plywood, hardwood, etc.
- Durable magnesium footplate
- An electric brake that stops the blade
- 530 bevel capacity
- Powerful with 15 amp that delivers 4,800 RPMs
- Easy to use and suitable for beginner
- Heavy with 17.95 Ibs
DEWALT DCS577B is simple to use due to the basic design that makes it suitable for both professionals and beginners without any complications. This makes it ideal for underlying employment and cutting different materials easily.
- DEWALT 7 1/4 circular saw has lightweight magnesium and aluminum construction including durable magnesium foot plate
- Extra wide sawhook of the corded circular saw accepts materials up to 2-3/4-inch (70mm0
- TOUGHCORD Cord Protection System of the compact circular saw has 4 times better cord jerk protection
- 53 Degree Bevel with Detents at 22.5 and 45
3. Makita 5377Mg 7-1- Best Worm Drive Circular
This Makita was tag as hypoid saws due to its heat treated hypoid gears features. But the versatility of this tool makes it to be among the best worm drive saw. When merging Makita’s 100 percent oil bath equipment and hypoid gears, qualified the tool to be one of the durable power tools.
The strong engine uses 15 amps and produces a top speed of 4500, making it more than adequate for almost any skilled operator.
This power tool is also lighter than the normal Makita hypoid, which is a huge addition since spiral gears are considered heavy tools and voluminous objects that can be difficult for an amateur to operate.
The great design, well-placed wide rubber handles that enable fast and easy adjustment are some of the things people love most about this saw.
- Made of High quality and durable materials
- Feature heat treated hypoid gears
- Sturdy with 15 amp motor
- Oil bath technology
- 4,500 RPMs Fast cutting delivery
- Cutting depth increment is needed
- Start torque is not well position
This worm saw was design with full operator convenience. The tool can be handled with one hand, and its lightweight form also ensures long-time usage without getting hand fatigue.
- Magnesium components create a lightweight saw (13.2 lbs.) that is well balanced and job site tough
- Oil bath technology is created with a built-in fan and sealed gear housing to ensure 100% oil surface coating for less...
- Large cutting capacity (2-3/8" at 90°) with positive stops at 22.5°, 45° and 51.5°
- Large cutting capacity (2-3/8" at 90°) with positive stops at 22.5°, 45° and 51.5°
4. Bosch 7-1/4-Inch Best Worm Drive Circular
Bosch is one of the best manufacturers for high-quality power tools, and Bosch CSW41 7-1/4 inches power tools are another. This worm saw is lightweight, and its gear ratio is very high. For its versatile nature and the power it displays, it is the best-rated saw. The magnesium casing and the magnesium cast stand provide real strength and reliability for this. This model weighs just 13.2 lbs, which is user-friendly without causing fatigue.
The 15 amp motor is very powerful, as it has 5300 RPMs, enabling you to cut quickly. The mains mechanism offers a great deal of power, precision, and longevity, as the saw lasts longer than a regular circular cut. The blade is on the left side, which is an additional benefit since the users have an unimpeded view of the cut line for accurate slicing. The motor housing is sturdy and rigid, thereby preventing the blade from moving while it is in use.
The magnesium engine housing allows the Bosch CSW41 to stay cool 7-1/4 inches, extending its service life. Included are 5 ball bearings to ensure that the saw is properly secure, giving you excellent stability. This saw has developed an advanced lubrication mechanism to extend the life of the saw. The integrated wrench is multi-purpose and can modify handles, change blades, and retain output. This saw has a soft grip that offers ease and efficient use.
- Superb technology and Magnesium construction
- Unmatched accuracy, and durability
- Powerful and Versatility
- Easy to handle with fast cutting
- Suitable for smooth cutting
- Not ideal for beam cutting task
- Powered with 110 Voltage
This worm drive saw is explicitly made for heavy duty tasks. This saw cut hardwood with ease. Although it is heavy and difficult to operate with a single hand, it is an excellent choice as it can be used to tackle different hard materials.
- LIGHTWEIGHT: The Bosch CSW41 Circular Saw provides better comfort and control. The tool’s magnesium construction delivers a...
- ACCURACY: Featuring a worm drive design, the CSW41 offers increased accuracy and precision. The left side blade design...
- TORQUE: The saw delivers 5,300 no-load rpm but weights only 13.2 lbs. The powerful 15-amp motor provides torque for a variety...
- CONVENIENT: The CSW41 features an on-board multi-function wrench for blade and brush changes, lever adjustments and blade...
5. Milwaukee 6477-20 7-1 Circular Saws
This Milwaukee saw is an excellent option for switching from a regular circular saw to a worm drive saw.
The saw weighs relatively 15 Ibs, which means it is light in weight than most circular saws. The 7-1/4-inch blade rotates at a relatively great speed of 4400 RPMs. This makes the saw tackle any material with a maximum cutting depth of 2-7/16 inches.
This tool blade was made of hardened steel materials with 51.50 bevels to increase its versatility for various applications such as floors and ceilings.
There are many great features for those who know less about the worm drive tool. One of their nice features is the oil glass, which makes it easier to spot when the oil level is low so that you can keep the saw in good condition. The shoe’s surface is made of a mixture, not light magnesium, which is even better as it ensures it doesn’t bend when cut and reduces the saw’s rebound transmission. Users also liked the convenience of holding easy access with the trigger and found the retractable blade cover to work well.
- Durable and easy to use
- Cost effective
- Powerful with 15amp and 4,400 RPMs
- Hardened steel worm gearing
- Five Year warranty
- Heavy compared to other saws
- Not suitable for amateur
This screw saw is extremely basic, but very powerful in design and visual style. This makes it a perfect option for entrance-level workers or beginner worm-saw users to execute their cutting tasks.
- The product is easy to use
- The product is durable
- The product is manufactured in China
- 15.0 Amp, 4,400 RPM Motor- delivers maximum cutting performance and does not bog down, even under heavy loads.
6. Makita XSR01PT 18V x2 LXT Worm Drive
Although this Makita XSR01PT is not an actual worm drive saw, the saw performs better with its versatility than most worm drives saw.
It has a special configuration of the spiral gear, which links the gears at an angle of 450 instead of 900. Even the engine is brushless, which has the benefits of longer and shorter drive times.
Integrated switching technology allows for rapid torque changes and speed cutting during service. Being cordless saw enhance your working versatility as you’re not going to be restricted to where you can work. Slightly lighter on the list than the spiral saws. The blade to the left.
This Makita has 53 degrees mowing capacity with a positive stop at 22.5, 45, and 53. Absolute cut depth of 2-9/16 at 90 degrees. There are two 36 V LXT Li-Ion batteries. Its price is marginally higher than the original worm drive saws.
This is a specialized tool made to provide adequate and needed power anytime and ensures the job isn’t getting harder than it should be.
- Feature built-in tether notch
- Automatic speed changes technology
- Fast cutting ability with 5,100 RPMs
- Powerful with x2 LXT batteries
- Electric Brake for maximum productivity
- No led light
This Makita is a professional job site worm drive saw. It is powerful, and light in weight than most corded worm drive saw. As it is cordless, this can be used anywhere, but anytime usage can be stressful as it does not has led light to enhance cutting visibility at night.
- Powered by two LXT batteries; X2 LXT technology delivers more power, speed and run time without the hassles of a cord
- Makita-built electronically controlled brushless motor delivers 5,100 RPM for maximum performance and 50% longer run time per...
- The brushless motor eliminates carbon brushes, enabling the motor to run cooler and more efficiently for longer life
- Automatic Speed Change technology adjusts cutting speed and torque during cut for optimum performance
7. Skilsaw Spt77Wml-01 15-Amp Worm Drive
The maker of this brand SKILSAW SPT77WML-01 15-amp is the first company to produce a worm drive saw. With the advancement in the power tool, Skilsaw makes this brand SKILSAW SPT77WML-01 to tackle intricate furniture design or any other woodworking task.
This saw is a perfect tool for regularly on carpentry projects. It has markers for measuring the wood depth, and it helps you work on various wood types.
With great torque, experienced carpenters can cut timber easily and complete more work.
Create modern wooden furniture with intricate cuts and shapes, and use this saw to unleash your imagination in woodwork.
- Powerful and Lightweight
- Easy to use with great precision.
- Versatile and Lightweight
- Ergonomic design reduces wear and tear.
- Strong torque lets you work long hours.
- Not dust collection port
- No gear oil
This saw is one of the best worm drive tools as it was bestowed with ergonomic design, reliability, and precision.
One of the main benefits of using this saw compared with others is its weight. You won’t get tired of dealing with woodworking projects when you use this saw.
This SKILSAW SPT77WML-01 can be used for woodworking creatives projects with this saw and demonstrate your artistic and carpentry skills.
- Lightest magnesium construction reduces user fatigue for less down time
- Cut-ready depth of cut system helps with quick, accurate depth measurements
- 53° bevel allows users to complete a wider variety of cuts
- 15 Amp of power gives users the power to rip through more lumber in less time
In this section, several features needed to consider when buying a worm drive saw will be identified and fully analyze to simplify the process of choosing the best saw for your next project.
A built-in dust fan is a great accessory, and it doesn’t come with many models, especially at lower prices. But it is common among top models. This feature’s primary purpose is to remove dust from the cutting line and keep the work area clean. This should give you the possibility to operate faster and have more visibility.
Blades Change Mechanism
It’s very important to change the blades with a little effort, especially if you’re using them often. There are essentially two types of blade change mechanisms, which are used today in spiral saws: tool-free and tool-based.
Mechanisms that are too free are simple and easy to use. It only requires pressing one or two buttons to unlock and remove the old blade and then click on it to install the new one.
Some saws on the back require replacing the blade with screwdrivers and wrenches. This device could be right for you if you intend to use the saw occasionally and small task.
If you’re planning to use it frequently, it’s recommended to buy a saw with a tool-free blade changes mechanism. If you plan to work on tough projects, it might also be better to have a model that needs blade change equipment.
Another thing to note when purchasing a worm drive saw is mowing capability. All models offer cutting possibilities at a certain cutting angle, but the best one allows cutting in higher angles.
Even some versions have right angle stops. This function can be very useful because you can secure the saw and cut it in place without worrying about damaging the saw.
Generally, worm drive saw have a minimum of 450 bevels. Some models may reach 500. Standard tilt stops include 22.50, 450, and 51.50 (for the tremendous potential to bend).
The power of the motor housing and its components should also be considered when purchasing the tools in question. The case is typically made of metal, but some cheaper versions may have lighter, but less sturdy, and durable plastic coverings.
Metal cases are more sturdy and can withstand further restrictions. Magnesium provides the best weight to strength ratio because it is lightweight and very durable. Aluminum is another common material used in housing.
Cut Depth and Materials
You can cut standard or 2×4, but you need to know the depth of the saw you need. These are some of the most massive saws for personal use on the market and can accommodate all the thick material needs in general.
Remember the amount of content you are using for projects and whether you are using it for routine tasks. When used for construction, take a look at all the materials you are using. With these worm drive saws, most of them can be easily pulled out, but check the necessary cutting depth.
However, the industry standard’s maximum depth is about 2-3/8. Smaller models can have a smaller cutting depth. Models with a larger cutting depth may also be found.
Line Cutting Visibility
It’s really important you have a clear view of the snail, but some poorly built models aren’t so good.
Low visibility models are more difficult to use, especially when attempting to cut in a straight line. Also, they are more likely to cause injury.
Chosen a worm drive saw that has been proven to be reliable and will last for several years. If you’re looking for durability, consider the type of material used to make the saw. Materials should be reliable, so they’re not cracking or drying out. Look at weight when finding materials; weight indicates precision.
Many spiral saws have a read-dependent motor. Overall they are the most strong. Engine position can assist in evaluating stability. Most models are fitted with a 15 amp motor that can produce 4000 RPMs minimum. That strength is enough for fast cutting.
The tool case was made of which materials type. This will help you determine how well the saw can carry and be a good measure of the saw’s weight. Since it is light and solid, the best form of case will be one made of magnesium; magnesium is better than steel housing. Only stay away from cheaper models using plastic as a tool case, as this sort of case won’t last for long.
Weight and durability
The worm drive saw is weight is very crucial to note. There are many problems associates with heavy tool weight such as; hand fatigue, difficult transport, difficult balance, and lack of preciseness.
Yet a very lightweight worm drive saw is not a good idea to be selected. Lightweight tools reduce hand fatigue and even prolonged usage.
In general, worm drive saw and other power tools are expected to weigh a little Ibs but not too much. Although this should be depending on the materials you want to handle, how long you want to operate a power tool, your physical strength, and your abilities.
RPMs are a rotation per minute. People sometimes equate RPMs with the powerful level a saw. While there is a correlation between them, the two aren’t the same. A powerful motor can indeed deliver the higher RPMs
But that doesn’t mean it has a good engine when an instrument has high speeds. There are some mediocre saws with very impressive RPM.
The main objective of this guide is to help you buy the best worm drive saw. So we’ve compiled a detailed review and shopping guide with the best 7 worm drive saws (worm gears) on the market available.
All you have to do now is cross-check each saw with its features, benefits, and drawbacks. And you have to make a fair comparison between the saw vividly. This is the best way to pick the correct saw for your project. Don’t rush, take your time; it is free. Read this guide fully as well as the buying guide.
- Best Wet Tile Saw Guide
- Best Saw For Cutting Laminate Flooring
- Best Cabinet Saw
- Best Metal Cutting Saw
- Best Backpacking Saw
- Best Wet Tile Saw Under $300
- Best Japanese Saw
- Best Radial Arm Saw
- Best Saw For Cutting Tree Branches
- Best Camping Saw
- Best Dovetail Saw
- Best Metal Chop Saw
- Best Bow Saw
- Best Scroll Saw Blades
- Best Wet Tile Saw
- Best Folding Saw
- Best Jig Saw
- Best Coping Saw
- Best Pruning Saw
- Best Circular Saw Blade Guide
- Best Hand Saw Guide
- Best Compact Circular Saw Guide
- Best Miter Saw Blade Guide
- Best Cordless Pole Saw Guide
- Best Miter Saw Guide