Disclaimer: None of our reviews are sponsored. We earn a commission when you purchase items through our links.
Are there any benefits to owning a good backpacking saw? Yes! Irrespective of what you are doing if you are someone that resides or is busy around your home. Owing a backpacking saw is a good idea.
In this article, we will take a look at some of a great backpacking saw and analyze a summary of each model. At the end of this review, you will discover the most important features, pros (benefit), and Cons (what to look out for) of those great backpacks saw.
For proper in-depth analysis, we will start this review with the comparison table to firstly analyze our selected great backpacking saw. Our review coverage area on each tool is their main features, customer feedback on each product, expert opinion, etc.
The 7 best backpacking saw has select, and we are going to analyze them accurately.
Our Favorite Picks
|Silky Professional||1 Ibs||4.9|
|Bahco 396-LAP||7.1 Ibs||4.7|
|Corona RazorTOOTH||12.8 Ibs||4.8|
|Silky Professional Medium||5.9 Ibs||4.7|
|Folding Hand Saw||10 Ibs||4.5|
|UST SaberCut||4.8 Ibs||4.2|
|Corona RS 7245 7-Inch||4.8 Ibs||4.8|
The 7 Best Backpacking Saw
1. Silky Professional – Best Folding Saw For Backpacking
Silky Professional is a perfect folding hand saw for those searching for the best camping saw, with a 360 mm long blade. It is easy to carry the tool along when going on a trip. This saw weigh only 1 Ibs. It is ideal for several outdoor activities, such as growing, logging, building, and pruning.
Silky Professional has a long blade and has a large pruning capacity. This tool has an expanding cutting scope, and it is fast when using for cutting, resulting in time savings. Its teeth are 6.5 in every 30 mm. You can sharpen the blade teeth for adequately, fast, and accurate cutting.
It has a small angle curve, which allows a uniform cut. It has a unique design and perfect balance for improving work-time comfort.
The handle is padded with rubber to prevent the tool from slip when using it. It also affirms the grip is secure and comfortable.
- The saw is specially designed for maximum comfort.
- Durable and Versatile
- Non-heavy and easy to move around
- Swift and effective
- Too much pressure will damage its blade.
This saw is not the most excellent folding saw, but it is one of the best and durable saw. Be sure to put it in a cover and handle it properly. This is suitable for light and medium sawing tasks.
- Silky New Professional Series Folding Saw
- Largest folding saw on the market
- Allows for 2-handed operation
- 19.7" blade has a 10" cutting capacity
2. Bahco 396-LAP – Best Folding Saw For Camping
For hunters, campers, hikers, and wildlife enthusiasts getting a Bahlan 396-LAP Lap saw is the best pick. It has a blade of 7.5 inches, with seven teeth per inch. It is made of Swedish steel which is known for its quality all over the world.
When closed, the bending saw about 9 inches. One can easily replace the blade. The blade is carried with a big Phillips screw and pin in the handle. Cutting dry wood, bone, plastic, and green wood works best. The blade is coated for low resistance to friction and corrosion.
It has a plastic handle with two parts, with a leather buckle. It provides a stable and comfortable grip. It can be folded quickly into a handle and is fitted with a security lock for wrapping or inside. The seesaw weighs 7.1 Ibs.
It is designed with a limited warranty from the producer. In the case of design and material defects, it will be replacing the product.
- Excellent blade for easy cutting
- Locking securely in folded and folded positions
- Aluminum coating materials that prevent corrosion.
- Durable plastic grip
- Small and Efficient blade teeth
- Not suitable for beginner
- Costly blade Replacement
This Bahco 396-LAP is second on our best choice as the best backpacking saw. There is nothing to be surprised about that. This is made of quality and durable materials with its blade designed with corrosion-resistant materials the prevent its 7 ½ inches from being rust. This particular tool is also having a lifetime manufacturer warranty.
- General purpose folding saw with an 7-1/2 -inch blade, 7 teeth per inch, for cutting both green and dry wood, plastic, or...
- XT Toothing, 7 TPI. Blade is specially coated for rust protection and low friction.
- Two-component plastic handle for perfect grip, with leather strap.
- Specially designed for wildlife enthusiasts, hunters, and campers
3. Corona RazorTOOTH – Best Survival Folding Saw
Corona RazorTOOTH weighs just 12 Ibs and has a blade of 7 inches. This saw manufacturer also makes saws at 8 – 10-inch intervals if you don’t want to have a saw for that long.
This saw’s blade is angled and made of stainless steel. This integration of curved design and extremely powerful stainless steel with each stroke helps the blade teeth dig deeper. Though the blade design is ideal for pruning, it will also help to cut larger logs in nature.
The manufacturers heat-treated the blade and coated it with chrome to shield it from damage. Both Corona folding saw teeth are often tripled and reinforced to help them endure the harshest forests.
The handle it’s designed for added safety with a black non-slip plastic case and a manual stop. When it comes to safety, a lock button is mounted on the handle holding the knife in place, in use, or in the retracted position.
The downside to the Corona folding saw design is that each stroke cuts the teeth. Some campers prefer the tool to be useful for push and pull stroke teeth to save time. Since Corona is made of high-quality steel, you probably won’t notice any difference in power when using this folding saw.
Thanks to its lightweight and compact design, curved blades, and sturdy high-carbon steel, the Corona folding saw is a wonderful saw for beginners and advanced hunters.
- Made of durable materials.
- Ideal for trimming with curved blade style.
- Lightweight and compact design
- 3 different blades
- More effort require
- Expert experience require
Corona RazorTOOTH is a budget-friendly tool suitable for professional and Beginner DIY. It is an excellent saw for campers, and it is choosing as the best survival folding saw.
- 3 SIDED RAZOR TEETH FOR EFFICIENT CUTTING: 10" blade is ideal for cutting 5" - 6" diameter, small to medium, branches
- ERGONOMICALLY DESIGNED, COMFORTABLE, CO-MOLDED HANDLE: Provides a comfortable grip for extended use
- EASY TO LATCH BLADE PREVENTS INJURY WHEN NOT IN USE: Folding blade is curved, taper-ground, and replaceable
- IMPULSE HARDENED TEETH FOR LONG SERVICE LIFE: Extends the life of the tool season after season
4. Silky Professional Medium – Best Folding Saw Bushcraft
The Silky Professional medium is a tool with various blade lengths and types. They are manufactured in Japan and can be modified to work under different conditions with different types of wood.
They begin at 5 inches and range in length up to 6 and 3⁄4 inches. You can get them to work on fine hardwood with teeth per inch, from 7 to 22. It offers you lots of options to find something that works on the Silky line.
Each saw has a transparent plastic case, as well as a belt clip. The saw’s design is excellent, and the material for which the knives were forged is well-cut. The only real gap that we found was the relatively short length of it.
These are not long enough to handle actual or larger branches of camping logs. If you are just looking for a pruning tool or woodworking tool, Silky is a fantastic company producing high-quality cutting saw.
- High-load blade, with coating resistant to corrosion.
- Easy blade replacement
- Extraordinarily ergonomic and easy to handle
- Compact design
- It’s not ideal for cutting bigger branches or trees
When you’re searching for a lightweight hand saw, Silky Professional Medium is the best hand saw. Its reliability is a top priority to achieve your goal.
5. Folding Hand Saw – Best Camping Saw
EverSaw is the ideal companion saw for various outings, household chores, and general emergencies. The blade is 8 inches long, and, when fully extended, the saw reaches 17 inches. This also has triple-cut teeth that are reinforced for protection and resistance to tears.
9 TPI blades are ideal for cutting tools and cut up to 4 inches in diameter in a reasonably even manner. Removing the from wood, bone, and plastic is easy. The durable blade made of carbon steel is designed to remain sharp and offers easy flexibility. Therefore, friction and coarse pressure/traction flow are minimized without the need for coating. The blade has a locking feature for added stability. So you’ll be sure that when cutting or closing, the blade will not break.
Additionally, you benefit from the ergonomic, slip-free, and comfortable posture. Another exciting thing is that it shreds or releases the adjustable blade according to your needs. Additionally, the blade is completely folded into the handle, so you can comfortably place it in your bag or pocket without being exposed to holes. The saw is 9.5 x 2.2 x 0.8 inches and weighs about 10 ounces.
So you’ll get a combination of comfort, safety, and durability with this saw. Narrow cuts simplify work, and that is what the blade is designed for. But it is not one of the best blades since the power seems to have been weakened to make it smoother.
- Safe for daily use
- Versatile, User friendly
- Flexibility and easy to use
- It is too lightweight
- Non-durable blade materials
This saw is chosen as of the hand folding saws in this review. It’s got a good balance between being affordable and being useful. It’s safe and User friendly, making it a fine, lightweight folding truck saw.
- Many hand saws are made of flimsy and cheap materials that bend, snap, and even break after a few uses. At Home Planet Gear,...
- Unlike Folding Saws with faulty pop-button locking mechanisms allowing the saw to close or snap unexpectedly – a major...
- Super Sharp, triple-cut razor teeth made for pull cut sawing (9TPI). Hardened to stay sharp and reduce friction, for smooth,...
- Multipurpose - Yard work, pruning, camping saw folding, backpacking hunting gear, branch cutter, tree saw, limb saw, game...
6. UST SaberCut – Best Hand Saw For Cutting Tree Trunks
When looking for a decent tool at a reasonable price, that is SabreCut UST chainsaw. It is ideal for a light bag or an enjoyable walk in the woods. The handles are soft and sturdy.
A good touch of this saw is the triangular rings with belts. The design makes the forearms and wrists less stressful and has enough space to wear gloves to protect your hands. No one in the middle of nowhere wants to hurt their hands!
Maintenance is analogous to a real saw. If the teeth are darkened, sharpening them is relatively easy, and keeping the tool in good shape. The blade is flexible and non-binding; all you need is this!
This chainsaw cuts wood and is extremely light and easy to carry. It’s in the middle of the road, and to be more effective, you might need a mate, but it’s a simple, lightweight, and effective device worth trying.
- Sustainability and User friendly
- Long String and Compact Design
- Versatile and comfortable handles
- Unlimited warranty
- Person seams just inside the bag
- Not durable compare to other saws
- Blade teeth spacing is farther.
If you’re looking for a handheld chainsaw that requires little or no maintenance, this saw is the best pick for you.
- DIMENSIONS: 24” L weighs 4.3 oz
- EASE OF USE: Comfortable wrist straps prevent stress on your hands and the reach can be extended by adding extra cordage to...
- RELIABLE: Flexible, pocket size blade cuts at a variety of angles with little clearance making is great for cutting limbs and...
- DURABLE: Double sided, non-binding chain is just like a regular chainsaw and the self-cleaning saw teeth last long periods of...
7. Corona RS 7245 7-Inch – Survival Folding Saw
The 7-inch Corona RS 7245 7-Inch is designed to make the small and medium branches easy to cut. Professional type saws with adequate folding saving and easy to move around.
The razor unit with a curved blade structure has a faster and cleaner cut to improve plant health and reduce pruning than classic saws have. The chrome plate self-cleaning is corrosion-resistant and can be interchanged for longer life.
In addition, for greater efficiency, the razors have three sides, and a firm thrust for exceptional durability and strength. The ergonomically designed handle is designed for greater daytime convenience and ease of use, making it ideal for personal or professional use.
Each tooth has a triple surface and provides three corner angles to make cutting and removing wood more effective. After a few cuts, the pulse hardening process based on the blade teeth retains the sharpness of the teeth without adding fragility to the overall blade.
The knife is fitted with a hard chrome-plated bearing, which reduces friction for less effort during cutting and provides a bearing that avoids corrosion for longer life.
- Durable Japanese blade carbon steel materials
- Cut each tooth on three sides
- Harden joint for lasting sharpness
- Chrome blade (the protection against corrosion and better gliding)
- Locate the padlock and Ergonomic Grip Pistol
- The blade is semi-rigid, is not enduring.
- Unique and robust nut require to screw the blade holder
- ¼ space between saw blade and handle
This is an excellent tool that is made and designed by and with Japanese materials. This tool has an unlimited lifetime warranty. It is practically designed for the hardened project.
- 7” blade Ideal for cutting up to 3” diameter branches
- Ergonomically designed co-molded handle covers blade in folded position; with pistol grip to mitigate hand slippage on handle
- Easy to latch blade lock prevents injury
- Blade made of High Carbon Japanese SK5 steel with exceptional hardness and durability for a long-lasting tool
Sven Saw Vs. Silky What’s The Difference?
An original folding saw, Sven-Saw is ideal for camping, canoeing, hiking, backpacking, hunting, gardening, and many other outdoor activities. The sharp blade is made of hardened Swedish steel, and the rest has been manufactured for nearly 60 years in the USA.
In hardened anodized aluminum, the handle, and backpack work under any climatic and temperature conditions, and it does not destroy. The blade folds into the handle when not in use, which serves as a protective shield.
This makes it easy to slip inside and out of the package.
This saw is ideal for wood cutting, cleaning trails, snowmobiling trails, or clearing native plants in your backyard!
As you have probably learned from geometry, the most powerful form available is the triangular saw. It is possible to transform rectangles into parallelograms that emphasize each articulation. Triangular indeed make the saw incredibly powerful.
Sven saws are tools that are robust and effective. They offer sharp, quick-cutting blades and reliable anodized parts of aluminum. It bends securely and fits easily in our 2-in-1 pockets, and in our tarpaulin, saws can be worn nicely.
The tiny sawing bag is suitable for Sven in two dimensions. From the first use, you will appreciate the durability and lightness of a unique frame made of anodized alloy with high strength.
And just how well your hand fits. The blade can bend firmly into the frame when not in use to protect you, your family, and other equipment. Take Sven-Saw to the next campsite, snowmobile, canoeing, backpacking, hunting.
Suitable for home, garden, and car too!
- Handles: The tubular handle has no angle, which has a red anodized surface and extends under the blade to ensure optimum grip.
- Robust: The most difficult frame is given by triangular nature.
- Weight: It is lightweight in form
- Blade: Swedish steel blade best imported
- Fast: Cutting through about 6 inches with a minute
- Safety: The blade folds into the handle when not in use, and this serves as a protective cover.
Silky Saw is a sawmill manufactured by the Japanese company UM: KOGIO, INC., which produces saws from 1919 onward. From small folding saws to large professional telescopic saws, Silky has produced a variety of saw tools. Each silk saw is a finely crafted tool in terms of cutting performance, durability, and ease of use, which outperform hardware saws for hardware trading. Though for any purpose, from hiking, walking to woodworking, Silky produces saws, WesSpur Tree Equipment stores only see that Silky delivers for cutting trees. You will find a full collection of silkwood saws in our sowing and wire cutting section.
All the silk saws have laser cutting blades made from a unique steel silk alloy. Also, the teeth have been hardened by many silk blades. That means the tool’s teeth heat up and immediately hardened. The silk saw has powerful teeth as a result of this process, which holds the edge much longer than conventional saws. This hardening process is found in the teeth, which gives normal flexibility to the rest of the blade.
Many silk blades have a solid chrome coating that gives the saw blade an extra durable surface that easily withstands rust and dries.
Sharp blades are an essential feature of silk saws, as well. This means that the blades near the tooth are thicker than the blade’s spine, which allows the saw to move freely and prevents it from getting stuck in the cut.
The design of the handle is another improvement over saws made from wood. Silky saws have comfortable and tailor-made rubber grips that reduce friction, fatigue and are easier to hold while working with gloves, especially in bad weather. Additionally, the Silky hand saw is made in an entirely tangential form, stretching the whole handle. This ensures a robust and safe grip without swinging the blade.
- Unique Blades: The saw blades made of real Japanese steel and laser cutting. The blades are very hard with a long coating.
- Hard and Wear Resistant: The metal’s high hardness is determined by the metal’s chemical composition combined with the exclusive heating and cooling cycle. The high carbon content results in a high resistance to wear, so the sharpness stays for a long time.
- Soft and Flexible: The saw core is made of soft metal, which makes the saw flexible and adheres easily to wood if you forge saws in this way.
- Blade: All blades are made of Sugoi, Hayate, and Tsurugi high alloy steel, making the blade more corrosion-resistant and better suited for temperature variations. All knives are replaceable, and it is simple to replace.
- An Extensive Range: Silky offers a complete line of trim and woodworking saws, ranging from bending to fixed saws, right-curved blades, each with a wide selection of tooth configurations. Polar telescopic saws are available in lengths between 2.40 m and 7.70 m.
How does a pocket chainsaw work?
A pocket chainsaw works much like a traditional gas-powered chainsaw, but it has just two blades and is designed to be small enough that you can carry in your pocket.
The saw runs on gasoline or fuel oil (or other similar liquid fuels), which means the device requires regular refueling during use. For safety reasons, manufacturers recommend against using these tools indoors because they produce smoke as well as loud noise.
They’re also not ideal for cutting through thick logs of wood without an electric-powered assist such as a corded model with proper extension cords to get power from outside the building.
How Do You Sharpen A Pocket Chainsaw?
Pocket chainsaws don’t require sharpening like larger models do because they have just two blades. However, you should inspect them periodically for any burrs or nicks from objects the saw was cutting through and remove these promptly with a file.
What’s The Difference Between A Saw And An Axe?
The main distinction is that axes are designed for chopping wood, while saws are used to cut it.
How Do You Sharpen Backpacking Chainsaws?
You must maintain your chain by sharpening it from time to time with the appropriate files or tool kit. It should be sharpened before use after any significant cutting activity so there won’t be any issues during future projects, like right before tackling some major landscaping work in your yard.
The backpack handle should be flexible enough to reduce strain on the hands, as the device involves repeated hand movements.
Many of the models we tested had flexible molded grips or rubber grips for better handling and comfort control.
Ergonomic handles are preferred to regular handles, too. Such handles are designed to change hand curvature, minimizing voluminous, durable, and elongated handles that can cause damage, particularly with prolonged tool use.
Using a device that you can carry with you through outdoor events is the biggest reason to own rear best backpacking saw.
Such saws, therefore, need to be very compact. The transferability is accomplished by reducing the weight of the device and optimizing its compactness.
Most of the models that we tested weigh less than 10 Ibs, considered to be lightweight. Some are also foldable for easy portability and portability, making them lightweight.
Size and Strength
When buying any backpacking saw, the tool’s size is essential as it plays some critical roles in saw usage, accessibility, and moving around. You need to pack something small enough with other items in a backpack, put it in your back pocket, or fasten it to your belt for easy access.
For storage and movement, the entire tool’s size is essential, but the blade is also crucial. Whatever can be cut or worked will affect the length of the blade: a small blade smaller than about 7 inches does not cut branches wider than a few inches above and is probably just softer wood.
The size and strength of the teeth are essential because they will be the cutting tool. For a clean-cut, most teeth have grooved edges.
The blade material is critical, so it has to be sturdy, durable, and a little flexible. If it’s too rigid, it can be tied quickly, and it doesn’t work in other cases.
Steel or carbon steel is the most common material. Their costing production is relatively cheap, but it is particularly sturdy and durable, making it ideal for sawing trees and branches, as well as other materials that you will come across along the way.
Another relevant material section is that of the handle. For long-term usage, this should be comfortable, strong, and sturdy. If you are looking for hand saws, make sure that the hinges and seals are of the highest quality as they can be a potential weak link.
The handles are typically plastic, since they are mostly elongated and reasonably thin, meaningless extra weight for your backpack. On top of the plastic, saws also have a rubber grip, making it easier to hold and make it easier to handle. You are often exposed to the elements when backing up, and a rubber grip or handle can make holding easier, and less likely to slip or fall if it rains.
As with the weight, this is very crucial when buying a backpack. You do want something light and portable, of course, because you have to use it. Find something easy to take to anywhere with you. You may also want a compact tool, in which case you are looking for is an excellent pick for folding saws.
Perhaps the best saw design for an outdoor professional is bow saws. They’re portable when they’re down. But the overall design will assist in giving excellent output within a short time. Small pocket chainsaws are better because they take up very little space. But if you’re on a limited budget, you can go for an old hand saw. Both hands saw and a bow saw is a great tool, but your project, preference, budget are the major factor you need to consider when buying backpacking saw.
You may need a saw for a variety of purposes when traveling or exploring nature. If you visit your usual positions as a backpacking expert, you know precisely what cutting style you need for most of the activities, and you can choose something more specialized.
If you want to prune branches or trees that are small and medium in length, chainsaws 7 to 12 inches long are enough. A handheld chainsaw may be more suitable for your needs if you want to cut down trees or larger branches.
And don’t forget to focus on thumb teeth. A large number of teeth per inch gives a thinner cut, but it requires a more extended cut. We are probably on the market with fewer teeth per inch because when we burn wood, even if it cuts rough, it will go faster, and we don’t care about finishing.
When you’re traveling with kids or pets, make sure they’re safe. When you find the perfect backpack, you will realize it suits your party’s needs.
This ensures that potentially dangerous machinery, such as saws, must be stored, protected, or locked safely so that small hands and feet can not reach and get injured. Folding saws are great and effective in terms of safety features.
Some of the above saws are blocked or shielded because we take protection very seriously. Nonetheless, you must still ensure you have them in safe mode when packing them; you can never be too careful.
Here is the end of our 7 best backpacking saw reviews. Irrespective of what you are engaging in. All the discuss above backpacking saw are great options to add to your hiking gear. There are so many different styles, labels, and features that you can get distracted when chosen one. I hope the article helps to shed more light on what to look for when buying a backpacking saw. It’s up to you to decide what you need to camp or hike after that, and then combine those points with the perfect saw.
- Best Saw For Cutting Tree Branches
- Best Saw For Cutting Laminate Flooring
- Best Cabinet Saw
- Best Metal Cutting Saw
- Best Wet Tile Saw Under $300
- Best Japanese Saw
- Best Radial Arm Saw
- Best Saw For Cutting Tree Branches
- Best Camping Saw
- Best Dovetail Saw
- Best Metal Chop Saw
- Best Bow Saw
- Best Scroll Saw Blades
- Best Wet Tile Saw
- Best Worm Drive Saw
- Best Folding Saw
- Best Jig Saw
- Best Coping Saw
- Best Pruning Saw
- Best Circular Saw Blade
- Best Hand Saw
- Best Compact Circular Saw
- Best Miter Saw Blade
- Best Cordless Pole Saw